Forum Discussion

R_G1
Level 3
12 years ago

Journaling does not work

I have a journaling task running on EV Server, its not archiving from target journaled mailbox. I used usage report to check if anything new archived but there is nothing new archived by journaling task. I can access the journal mailbox in outlook client. When I try to sync the mailbox from task properties, it says not sync/failed to sync. I researched on the knowledge base, and looked into MSMQ's to find that there are no queues such as J1 J2 etc...

I recreated the task but it has not created the queues, nothing logged in event at that time, any help

• I assume you have other queues?

It might be a corrupted MSMQ. If possible, set all the tasks on this server in report mode. Let them run until all existing queues are cleared.

Then uninstall/reinstall MSMQ. Make sure to enlarge the quota, and change the location of it to a non-system disk. In addition, verify the MSMQ location is not scanned by AV.

When you reinstalled MSMQ, (which might require a reboot), start the EV-services. This should create the queues required.

I have seen this at a customer once, on a Virtual server. There, the only (quick) recovery was to rebuild the server itself, re-install EV.

6 Replies

• So what errors are present in the EV application log?

have you dtraced the Journal task whilst trying to sync or startup?

What version of EV and Exchange?

• I assume you have other queues?

It might be a corrupted MSMQ. If possible, set all the tasks on this server in report mode. Let them run until all existing queues are cleared.

Then uninstall/reinstall MSMQ. Make sure to enlarge the quota, and change the location of it to a non-system disk. In addition, verify the MSMQ location is not scanned by AV.

When you reinstalled MSMQ, (which might require a reboot), start the EV-services. This should create the queues required.

I have seen this at a customer once, on a Virtual server. There, the only (quick) recovery was to rebuild the server itself, re-install EV.