Forum Discussion

pjtee
Level 4
12 years ago

Migrate a deleted users PST file

Hi, I couldnt find a direct answer for this on the site. Hopefully someone can help. It seems like a straight forward problem but the solution isn't clear to me in Enterprise Vault (7.5)

I have a user who has long since left the company -- no AD account or mailbox remains. All I have is a PST file which was created before we implemented Enterprise Vault. How would I now import this file cleanly in Vault under the users name if no AD account or provisioned archive exists for him?

i have tried the PST migrator but it only asks that I select a pre-existing archive to import with

Thanks

• Okay, I would probably:

1. Import the PST into a Discovery archive (if you need to keep data for legal purpose) OR
    2. A current user archive (if data needs to be shared with another user) OR
    3. A test/spare archive (if data needs to be kept for no reason), this archive can also be a spare mailbox you create again for same user account just to get an archive and import PST into it.

Can't think of other ways around. Probably others can come up with more ideas/thoughts

7 Replies

• Quick question - Do you've an archive for tihis user in enterprise vault environment?

• Nope. As I said, this user had left the company before we implemented Enterprise Vault. When he left, we archived his mail to PST, deleted his account, and there it remained until now.

• Okay, I would probably:

1. Import the PST into a Discovery archive (if you need to keep data for legal purpose) OR
    2. A current user archive (if data needs to be shared with another user) OR
    3. A test/spare archive (if data needs to be kept for no reason), this archive can also be a spare mailbox you create again for same user account just to get an archive and import PST into it.

Can't think of other ways around. Probably others can come up with more ideas/thoughts

• AKL -- thank you. Its looking more and more like I'll need to go with option 3. There's a bit of work there, but its fine now that I know there's probably no quicker alternative.

• You can create a Shared Archvie and then using the PST import wizard import the PSt file to the shared archive you Created. You can grant access to the suers you want to this shared archive.

• Thanks, I havent done this before. How much seperation will that allow me? Will it dump everything into one archive/email inbox...or will it seperate the mailboxes. Can I permission mailboxes seperately within the shared archive?

That option would be more convenient for me, but I need to be mindful of confidentiality/permissioning etc.

• When you import the pst file to the Shared archive it is going to dump everything in one archive , there would not be any folder structure as such. If you want to import different pst files to the same shared archvei you can do it. you can add the users whom you wan to give access to the archive by going to the permissions tab. and only the users who have permission can see and search for items in  the archive.