Forum Discussion

Andy_Chong
Level 4
12 years ago

Migrate EV8 to EV10

Dear all

We are using EV8 w/ exchange 2007 and want to migrate to EV10.

As I know that I need to migrate to EV9 (64bit) first and then migrate to EV10 (64bit), am I right?
 -From EV8 to EV9, I will setup a new EV9 server and new SQL server. Migrate all EV site data and SQL database to the new servers
 -After finish, then from EV9 to EV10, I will setup another new EV10 server. Migrate EV data to EV10 server. But SQL database will remain in the SQL server

So, can EV8 ,9 and 10 conexistenence?
How can I know all data in EV9 is OK and can start to migrate to EV10?

Thanks

Regards

Andy

10 Replies

• Thanks for your confirm and introduce the EV Server Settings Migration Wizard to migrate to EV 10.

BTW, I have read the upgrade_instruction in the EV9 setup source. When I migrate from EV8 to EV9, it told me install a EV9 server, but when I install, it is join this EV9 server into existing ev site? Or I need to create a new site?

Also, beside the SQL database, after setup the EV9 server, how can I migrate the data from ev8 to 9? 

Seems the documents don't have detail step on the migration step.

Thanks

• Migrate the existing EV 8 server to EV9, on the server itself. This is a very easy setup and depending on the size of your archives and speed of the server will only take a few hours.

Make sure to have a correct backup of the existing archived data and databases !

• Here is one option I would consider :-

Upgrade to EV 9 from EV 8 on your current hardware.

Install a new Windows 2008 R2 x64 server, drop the EV 9 binaries on it... 

Stop EV on the EV server

Do mega-backups

Do the SQL magic to move to the new server (it is documented, and I blogged about it recently)

'Move' to the new server

Upgrade that server in place to 10.0.1

Bingo :)

• Rob, why the extra step on the new server to first install EV9 and then upgrade to EV10 ?

I have done several upgrades already, but all direct from EV9 to EV10 on a new server with the server settings migration wizard.

• Agreed with ZeroCool, no need to install EV 9 on the new server, just install EV 10 and use the Server Settings Migration Wizard, I haven't blogged about it but I have used it several times and it works great.  :)

• Yes you can do that way too. Depends if you want to go down the route of using the tool, or manual steps. My description above was manual steps.
  • Hi ZeroCool

Sorry that I have some confuse. The EV8 server is running on 32bit, how can I migrate the server to EV9 itself?

Is it in-place upgrade to EV9 32bit in existing EV8 server and use settings migration wizard to migrate to EV10 64bit on new server?

Thanks

• Yes, do an inplace upgrade to EV 9 and then you can user the Server Settings Migration Wizard to move to the new 64 bit hardware and EV 10.

• Dear Tony, ZeroCool

Can EV9 32bit use the Server Settings Migration Wizard to migrate to EV10 64bit in new server directly?

I have this question because one of my services provider told me I cannot do that as below:

From your information, then I need to migrate 3 times??
    1. Existing EV8 32bit  in-place upgrade to EV9 32bit
    2. EV9 32bit migrate to new EV9 64bit server
    3. EV9 64bit migrate to new EV10 64bit server by using server settings migration wizard 

Ans  -Correct

Can I just migrate 2 times? (EV9 32bit to new EV10 64bit server directly)
    1. Existing EV8 32bit  in-place upgrade to EV9 32bit
    2. “Existing” EV9 32bit migrate to new EV10 64bit server directly by using server settings migration wizard 

Ans  -No , you need to migrate  to 64 bit Hardware first and then  in place upgrade to EV 10 .

Thanks