Forum Discussion

worldzfree
Level 4
14 years ago

Need official Symantec clarification on cryptic instructions to backup Vault 8.0

We recently upgraded our Vault environment to 8.0sp5 from 2007.  I am trying to get the backup procedure to work properly but I need clarification from Symantec.  We use Netbackup 7.x without the Vault Agent for Netbackup.  This uses the bpstart and bpend batch files.  The main areas I need clarification are:

1. After running the powershell script to create the list of EV backup mode commands for my environment I am confused about which of the commands need to be called.  The file is divided into Site, VaultStoreGroup, VaultStore, and SiteIndexLocations.  Currently we have only one Vault server for email but soon we will have others for files and possibly Sharepoint.  Which commands do I need to call and in what order to start backup mode and end backup mode?

2. Our Vault partitions are on a back-end EMC Celerra (not to be confused with Centerra).  We back those up via different means and thus need to use the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file.  Symantec recommends calling a simple "echo > {drive}:\vaultstores\vaultpartition\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt" during our backup routine to create the trigger file every time.  Where should these commands go?  In the bpstart file?  In the bpend file?  Where in the file?  Before or After the Vault backup mode powershells?

3. Since we aren't using the Netbacup Vault agent and we call our SQL backups via the bpstart entry to a third-party app (SQLSafe) are there any special commands I need to call in the database portion of the backup so that when it is complete it somehow let's Vault "know" that the SQL backup is complete?  We run weekly fulls and daily diffs on the SQL and I get constant nags from Vault in the event logs that the databases haven't been backed up in X days.

I am open to all clarifications.

-Thanks

-A

• Hiya,

1) You can mix and match dependednt on yoru setup, if you do not have may servers just place the whold server in backup mode so in yoru case:

Set-IndexLocationBackupMode $EVServer

Set-VaultStoreBackupMode $EVVaultStore

2) bpend only if backup was sucsessful. 

3) Well this should be done at the same time as the Vault Stores are beeing backed up, or there would be no need to place EV into backup mode.

12 Replies