Forum Discussion

Slack
Level 4
7 years ago

Need to prevent EV from adding new items

2nd go at posting this so appologies if there are 2 posts in a couple of minutes...

We have a requirement to stop adding any items to EV and stop removing them from Exchange mailboxes for the period of a migration. EV11 Exch 2010.

I changed the archive policy to be 999 days and to be sure disabled the archive task.

At first this looked good, but I have notcied the count of items in EV is still going up every day.

I had a look at the policies and found some options for Virtual Vault allowing users to add items through their Outlook client, so I have disabled them and run a sync, but the number is still going up.

The option in the Outlook client too is disabled to allow users to add / delete from EV. Desktop policy is only set to allow Search, Cancel and Help.

What have I missed? There must be some way these items are being added to the Vault.

Any way to find out where they come from.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Slack

9 Replies

• Hi Slack,

Is the Store in vault option enabled on the policy?  

Have you set the vault stores into backup mode to stop items being added? 

Regards,

Patrick 

Slack
      Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply.

Store in Vault is not enabled under the Desktop policy, that's the only place I see that option.

Backup mode has not been enabled, our backup software runs scripts that would unset this. I can make those changes if needed...

But, what would happen if EV is in backup mode and user are able to move an email in Outlook to their Virtual Vault / Vault Cache for example and the server is in backup mode? Would that just sit locally in their vault cache on their machine as it can't sync up to EV. Therefore the email would now be missing from Outlook and not in EV... this seems like a problem waiting to happen. Especially during a migration.

Backup mode may be the way to go, but I would need to understand the implications and gotchas before I do.

Thanks

plaudone1
        Level 6

Hi,

When items are dragged to VV they should be full items and would remain there.

Within VV under Search Folders the item would remain in the To Archive folder until it is able to upload to EV. 

Thanks,

Patrick