Forum Discussion

Cdee
Level 6
13 years ago

Purging A1 , A5, A6, A7 queue.

I had Decomm my old exchange servers and after decomm i noticed that there are queues for those server A1 , A5, A6, A7 queue with messages in it.

Now i am trying to remove the task as well from EV servers for Decomm servers but before i do i would like to know if is it safe to purge the above mentioned queues, Would there be any data loss?

• You need to logon to the EV server using the EV Service Account and then open the the EV Admin Console. Then expand to Policies - Exchange - Mailbox. Double click on a policy then the Advanced tab and then under Archiving General there is a policy called Pending shortcut timeout (by default it is set to 3 I think), change this to 0 and then synchronised the all the mailboxes (if you have multiple Mailbox Policies apply to all of them). Then perform a Run Now on all of of your mailboxes using Report Mode. Once done change the Pending shortcut time out to the value before you changed it then synchronised the user's mailboxes again. 

4 Replies

• Purging A5, A6 and A7 queue will not be a problem, but the A1 queue will as the messages in the user's mailboxes will be stuck with pending shortcuts. You can purge the A1 queue and then set the Pending Shortcut Timeout (in the Exchange Mailbox Policy) to 0 and then run the archiving new task for the new Exchange servers in Report mode to reset the Pending shortcuts and then archive those mailboxes again. This process will take time and will impact the exchange servers performances.

Just a matter of interest, are there lots in the A1 queue? 

• Thanks for the inputs, Can you please guide me where can i find the pending shortcut timeout setting

Also my A1 queue is approx 500 messages

• You need to logon to the EV server using the EV Service Account and then open the the EV Admin Console. Then expand to Policies - Exchange - Mailbox. Double click on a policy then the Advanced tab and then under Archiving General there is a policy called Pending shortcut timeout (by default it is set to 3 I think), change this to 0 and then synchronised the all the mailboxes (if you have multiple Mailbox Policies apply to all of them). Then perform a Run Now on all of of your mailboxes using Report Mode. Once done change the Pending shortcut time out to the value before you changed it then synchronised the user's mailboxes again. 

• To be honest, just delete the queues rather than purging them, once the exchange servers gone, it doesn't really matter about what's in the MSMQ or not, because there's nothing you can do to resolve it