Forum Discussion

Moltron1
Level 5
12 years ago

Restart client-driven migration

Hey, probably a simple question... I've just started clinet-driven migrations and came across the first large PST file, almost 5GB.  The migration archived about 20k emails or so, then failed with the error messages below.  I suspect maybe the PST is corrupted.  Question is, if I repair it, how do I start migration again?   Looks like there is a drop down for the PST file in the Personal Store Management area where I can set it back from "Migration Failed" to "ready to migrate".  Will that start it over again?  And how will it handle the stuff that is already migrated into the vault, because it would be a big pain to have 20k emails duplicated.

PM Could not get PST migration status of PST ****\Work Folders.pst: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

PM PST migration of ****\Work Folders.pst: Error 0x80004005

PM Failed to create PstMigrationHistory record for PST ****\Work Folders.pst : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Thanks!

• So, support finally got back to me with their "best-practices approach" which is: -Export entire vault to PST -Delete all shortcuts in Outlook -Import the PST into the vault using the wizard again Before they called back I had already set that PST which was now repaired back to "ready to copy" but it never did anything. And come to find out, there were errors being logged for it trying to start migration. Something about HasMoreChunks. Its a pain.

4 Replies

• If you change the status from "Failed" to "Ready to Migrate" the Migrator task will try again the next time the it's scheduled to run. You won't see duplicates.
  • What version of EV is being used on the server and the client?  There were some changes, I think in the EV 8 area, that made this whole 'restarting and not duplicating' process much better.

• I'm on 10.0.1. I tested or tried to test out what would happen by creating a new PST, adding a unique email to it. Then copied it. I went through the client-driven migration tasks, then removed the origional PST and re-migrated the copy. I ended up with duplicate shortcuts created in Outlook. I was using Virtual vault too, and dups showed up in there. But when I went into the Archive Explorer, I did not see duplicates. And I rebuilt the vault cache and did not see duplicates. It would seem I just need to worry about Outlook shortcuts.
  • So, support finally got back to me with their "best-practices approach" which is: -Export entire vault to PST -Delete all shortcuts in Outlook -Import the PST into the vault using the wizard again Before they called back I had already set that PST which was now repaired back to "ready to copy" but it never did anything. And come to find out, there were errors being logged for it trying to start migration. Something about HasMoreChunks. Its a pain.