Forum Discussion

16 years ago

Restoreshortcutbody reg key

I just need some quick clarification on this reg key settings. When the reg key is set, does the restore shortcut process work when the archive run starts or does it only work when archiving is running in report mode? Thanks.
  • Hey Jason,

This key is only meant to be in place whilst fixing a mailbox's shortcuts.  As the technote says:

Note: This process is very server intensive. Every shortcut that exists in the mailbox and the related saveset file will be accessed. It is suggested to run the task against 1 mailbox at first to determine the impact on the EV and Exchange server.  

Once shortcut recreation has been completed, change the RestoreShortcutBody registry key to 0, or delete it.

You should not leave it enabled.  The instructions about running in Report mode are there because you do not want to be creating new shortcuts the sametime you are trying to fix the old ones.

Regards,

Tony

Message Edited by Tony Sterling on 08-01-2008 02:12 PM

7 Replies

• Hi

What reg key exactly are you talking about?

Couldn't find it in the Reg Key Guide.

Cheers

Michel

• Yes, I know.

Just never heard of this one before ;)

It specifically points to Report Mode, so I guess it will only do it then.

Maybe it's a Preventing mechanism, that a scheduled archiving run will not recreate EVERY shortcut in EVERY mailbox...

Cheers

Michel

• That's what the KB article says but I want to make sure it only does it in report mode. The client I'm working at set the restoreshortcutbody reg key because they're altering they're shortcuts. Except now I'm having an issue where the Exchange transaction logs are filling up and it seems to be happening around the time EV is starting the archiving run. It also coincides when the reg key was first created.
  • Hey Jason,

This key is only meant to be in place whilst fixing a mailbox's shortcuts.  As the technote says:

Note: This process is very server intensive. Every shortcut that exists in the mailbox and the related saveset file will be accessed. It is suggested to run the task against 1 mailbox at first to determine the impact on the EV and Exchange server.  

Once shortcut recreation has been completed, change the RestoreShortcutBody registry key to 0, or delete it.

You should not leave it enabled.  The instructions about running in Report mode are there because you do not want to be creating new shortcuts the sametime you are trying to fix the old ones.

Regards,

Tony

Message Edited by Tony Sterling on 08-01-2008 02:12 PM
  • Hey Tony,

I agree with you. I was having an argument with someone about this and he insists this reg key is only active when you run the services in report mode and that it's not harmful to leave it. Except that we've been having problems with our Exchange transaction logs exploding and Microsoft actually had a kb article about how the restoreshortcutbody reg key can create the Exchange logs to grow.

Anyway, are you telling me that the restoreshortcutbody reg key will work even during a normal archive run?

• Totally agree with Tony on this one. If you leave this key in place, and someone does a Report run against all mailboxes, you will probably kill your Exchange server and put a huge resource on the EV and associated storage.

This should only be done against a cpl of mailboxes at a time, and only used to change existing shortcuts.

By running any task in Report Mode you do exactly what an ordinary task would do, except it will not actually archive anything. If you leave this key in, it will update the shortcuts each time it runs, along with archiving, all this activity will cause your Exch transaction logs to go bang. Should only be used fo a specific purpose and in a VERY controlled manner.