Forum Discussion

13 years ago

SQL server on a Domain Controller.. Cannot Connect to SQL server

Dear Experts,

Please let me know if I can host SQL server on a Domain controller. SQL version is SQL2008R2 and OS is 2008R2 DC. The directory service is running on EV server. EV is EV10 on win2008R2.

regards,

• Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager
    Go to SQL Server Network Configuration
    Enable Named Pipes
    Enable TCP/IP
    Restart the SQL services

4 Replies

• I would not recommend it unless this is a lab.  You would probably be better off having EV and SQL on the same box instead of putting it on the DC.  How large of an environment and what data sources?  (for example, Exchange mailbox archiving for 500 users)

MSFT has the following:

Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller

For security reasons, Microsoft recommends that you do not install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a computer that is a domain controller, but the following limitations apply:

• On Windows Server 2003, SQL Server services can run under a domain account or a local system account.

• You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local service account or a network service account.

• After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller.

• After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain member.

• SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster nodes are domain controllers.

• SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server service accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup will fail.

• Make sure to run the deployment scanner before staring setup of EV.

Also check the following settings in SQL:

• Are you sure that Named Pipes and TCPIP is working?
    • And have you configured Remote Access to SQL?
  • This is a lab envoronment and I want to simulate EV configuration with SQL on another server. I can only operate two VMs due to memory contraints. So on VM1 I have Exchange and NBU running and on VM2 I h ave DC SQL2008. Both are win2k8R2 servers. I am planning to host EV on VM1.

Remote Access is allowed but Named Pipes and TCPIP shows Failed in Deployment Scanner

Thanks a lot. Please suggest

• Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager
    Go to SQL Server Network Configuration
    Enable Named Pipes
    Enable TCP/IP
    Restart the SQL services