Forum Discussion

GiorgioF
Level 3
11 years ago

Using EV in a multi-tenant Exchange 2013 environment

Hi all,

is it possible to use Enterprise Vault in a a multi-tenant Exchange 2013 environment?

I have a very large customer that would like to upgrade to Exchange 2013 and leverage Multi-tenancy offered by this new release (1 Exchange server that serves more customers) and would like to use EV, so using one EV installation to manage archives of emails of more customers within one Exchange server.

Is it possible? If yes, with which version of EV?

Finally, is it possible to define different EV admin for different customers within this installation?

Many thanks, 

best regards,

Fabio

• Fabio, in my opinion, EV is not built for multi-tenancy. there are a boatload of reasons why but ultimately, if you sit down and draw it out, i think you'll see that unless all the customers have the exact same requirements, you will end up with a management nightmare and a huge mess of an environment.

that being said, you can have multiple EV environments archiving from the same Exchange environment so maybe that's a direction you could look into.

2 Replies

• Hello GiorgioF,

Doing a quick a search, I found this technote:

Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) for Microsoft Exchange and Hosting Environments
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44548

However, this technote states:

Supported Environments
    Enterprise Vault is supported in hosting environments with the following Microsoft products:

Exchange 2000/2003/2007*
        Server 2000/2003*
        ISA 2000/4/6*
        SQL2000/2005*
        Outlook 2000/2003/2007*

But the technote was updated on 2009. I would suggest you what the technote says at the bottom:

Unsupported Products

Products not shown as supported in the Enterprise Vault Supported Products list (refer to the Related Document section below, for a link to this document), or in this TechNote, are currently unsupported for ISP and Hosting use. Enterprise Vault Product Management works with Symantec sales teams so if you have requirements outside of our current offerings, please contact your sales / partner manager for assistance.

I hope this helps.

• Fabio, in my opinion, EV is not built for multi-tenancy. there are a boatload of reasons why but ultimately, if you sit down and draw it out, i think you'll see that unless all the customers have the exact same requirements, you will end up with a management nightmare and a huge mess of an environment.

that being said, you can have multiple EV environments archiving from the same Exchange environment so maybe that's a direction you could look into.