Forum Discussion

Paultje
Level 3
16 years ago

Via Explorer Placeholder won't open document, Search Vault can open document

Hi,
We have started in production (actualy the same server as the testserver) file-archiving. During the testperiod we had no problems (all solved). No we started really archiving a lot of data and we get 1 strange problem.
All archived files are replaced with placeholders. If I try to open a document using the Explorer, the application (Word) starts but after a short while get an error message: Documentname of path invalid, check the rights of the document or the station, or try to open using the Open file diaolog, followed by the path to the document. (sorry translated is from Dutch to English).
When I try the Search Vault icon in my Outlook client I can find and open the document. Even when I use archiveexplorerui.asp I'm able to open the document. So the rights are OK I guess. What can be wrong? The users are instructed to use the regular Explorer.

Paul
  • It takes forever to get help from Symantec support, all just by mail. When I phoned the person who answered the phone promissed me an engineer would call back, mostly the day after, once even the same day, BUT NO, no engineer talked to me and I had just a few emails.....
    Last weekend I had the oppertunity to reboot the cluster servers several times, and finally, after the 3rd or 4th reboot I was able to open the placeholder without problems. So my problem is solved, but what the cause of this all was I still don't know.
    Thanks for all the advice and I hope this forum will help me next time again, because the support desk........

18 Replies

• Hi John,

Indeed we have ISA proxy running. I "excluded" the proxy settings and hardcoded the EV-servers in the local intranet sites and it's working on the file-server. I just need to try it from a normal client.
    The users work on thin clients, using Citrix as working environment. So i need to change settings that will include the EV-servers to the local network?

• Paul No, this is not necessary on the user's workstations if you only use file-archiving. The user's explorer requests the file from the fileserver, the fileserver then requests the file from the EV Server, so no direct interaction between EV Server and the Client. However, if you implement e-mail archiving, too, you will need to have the EV-servers in the intranet sites of the clients. Cheers Michel
  • John,
    The user works from a "local" explorer (not ie) to open an archived item. It still doesn't work. When I use the vault service account on a different server, it also wouldn't open the file, just the application, even after i chaaanged the IE-settings.
    Which account is used (automatically) from the file server to open the file? The vault service account?
    And yes we are archiving our mail, and have almost no problems with opening archived items there. As i wrote before, when we search using the Search Vaults button, we can open the emails and archived files. As well as using http://evserver/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp
    SO i am getting a bit confused. Where do i need to change and using which account, so all users caaaan click from the normal Explorer to a placeholder to open the archived file?

Paul

ps. sorry for me asking to simplify all, having a bad week....;-)
  •  When you changed the proxy settings in IE on the file server - were you logged in as the Vault Service Account?  If after you do this - do you still get a login prompt to download the file from IE with the link?  If you do then again, this is not setup correctly - it should work OK from any workstation if you can download the file from IE on the file server whilst logged in as the vault service account.

And yes I do understand what you mean by explorer and not IE - I am getting you to test in IE for 2 reasons:-

1. The placeholder services uses HTTP calls to download the file to the fileserver from the EV server when a user opens a placeholder.
    2. It's easier to understand and see what is happening from IE.

Again if it doesnt work, I suggest logging a case with Support so we can go through it further.
  • Hi,

I reported my problem at Symantec's helpdesk, and I am still waiting to be contacted. Even yesterday, when i phoned to inquire to the status of my problem, the woman at the phone said that the engineer would phone back the next day (today). Is it always like this, waiting for a engineer to phone back?
    Case # 281 580 824 filed on April 28th, by phone.
  • It takes forever to get help from Symantec support, all just by mail. When I phoned the person who answered the phone promissed me an engineer would call back, mostly the day after, once even the same day, BUT NO, no engineer talked to me and I had just a few emails.....
    Last weekend I had the oppertunity to reboot the cluster servers several times, and finally, after the 3rd or 4th reboot I was able to open the placeholder without problems. So my problem is solved, but what the cause of this all was I still don't know.
    Thanks for all the advice and I hope this forum will help me next time again, because the support desk........
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    Try opening a case with "Severity 1", this often helps to get the engineers on the phone... ;)
    (But of course only do it with serious problems - I'd consider this one serious)

Cheers, and have a great day!

/Michel