Forum Discussion

10 years ago

7.6.0.3 clients

I've updated my appliances to 7.6.0.3, but when I am trying to use them to set up a new client, my only options to download from them is 7.6.0.1.  I've downloaded the client software and gone through the process of opening the share on the appliance, copying it over to the appliance, list downloaded, close share, etc., but it still doesn't show.  Am I missing a step or can I just not use the appliance as a download spot for 7.6.0.3?  

• My Mistake, the install of these is in the same fashion however.

You should be able to then

install *packagename*

18 Replies

• When you update your appliance to 2.6.0.2 or 2.6.0.3 (NetBackup 7.6.0.2 or 7.6.0.3), you are installing both the NetBackup Server (Master/Media) and Client components on the appliance, so your appliance is running 7.6.0.3 Client.

This is different than putting the NetBackup Client binaries for various operating systems into a folder that can be accessed by other servers and used to download/install the NetBackup Client.  As a previous post said, these stopped being included as part of a "base" appliance install/update after 2.6.0.1.

• Mnolan, I found the client rpms in the /inst/patch/appliance/available directory.  Should they be in the upgrading directory?  And if so, how can I get them there?

• A) "I found the client rpms " Following the technote has you join it into a single file of the name listed in the TN. Are you seeing one file of the combined name or the three parts yet to be combined?

B) I would just move them off via cifs share, combine them if needed, then add them to the right share then proceed with the rest of the TN.

• The technote has you combine the tar file splits for the appliance update to create the appliance rpm, not the client rpms.  The client rpms are downloaded and copied individually.   When I run the List Downloaded command, I get the following:

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbclient_INTEL-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbclient_Linux-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_update-2.6.0.3-1.x86_64.rpm

SYMC_NBAPP_addon_nbwin-7.6.0.3-SLES11.x86_64.rpm

•  
  • My Mistake, the install of these is in the same fashion however.

You should be able to then

install *packagename*

• Thanks.  That was the part I was missing.  I figured it out late last night after opening a ticket with our third-party support for it.  It had them stumped too.  The problem was that I didn't realize I had to 'install' the client rpm's.  It might have been clearer to me if I had gone through the manual process of installing the appliance update, but I did that through the appliance itself.  Now I have to go through and clean out old updates to free up space in the /inst file system so I can install all the new software.  

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help me with this.

• Glad you came right!

We have been begging you for more than a week to follow the steps in the TN.

To install the downloaded packages is documented in the TN under the topic:

Steps to install the uploaded NetBackup Appliance software version 2.6.0.3 release update

To install a software update that has been downloaded to the appliance:

1. Log in to the appliance console and enter the following command to install the release update. Use the name of the release update rpm from Step 6.

Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Install <patch_name>