Forum Discussion

jrmckins
Level 2
7 years ago

Copilot and Dataguard

We're running Oracle 11g configured as a two-node RAC in prod and are using Dataguard to replicate to a remote site. We have two 5240's (with copilot) replicating between these two sites as well. We'd like to be able to backup the stanby database (to offload the backups from prod) and have the 5240 in the remote site replicate back to the 5240 in the prod site for recovery purposes. I'm being told that the copilot feature doesn't support this. I know it works but I can't find anywhere that says if it's supported (or not). Does anyone have a link that spells this out for me? 

5 Replies

• Hi

What are you referring to, the use of dataguard with copilot, or the subsequent replication of the images?

jrmckins
      Level 2

We want to backup the standby database (created with data guard) to the appliance in our disaster recovery datacenter and be able to recover to the production database from the appliance in the production datacenter.   

RiaanBadenhorst
        Level 6

Lets take it one step back. What is the point of backing up the standby? Always wondered about that especially now that you've got two appliances that can replicate the primary's backup between sites.