Forum Discussion

7 years ago

CPU vulnerability Meltdown

Hi all,

Does anyone have any information from Veritas in regards to the new CPU vulnerability, Meltdown? I'm wondering if they have released plans to patch the issue. 

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Regards,

Caspar

5 Replies

• I would not be that worried in this case - despite the flow being extremely serious, it's a local vulnerability and appliances don't run uncontrolled user code sans some OST plug-ins, hence if you have rights to execute a code on the appliance, you could read most of its data anyway.

CasparThorup
      Level 3

Agreed. I have also informed our management of the same. I dont really consider it such a threat to the appliances, but was just looking for some acknowledgement of the issue from Veritas. 

They will have to wait for Red Hat to release a patch for it first at any rate.

Mark_Solutions
        Level 6

I have a case open with Veritas for exactly this issue to see how we stand with Appliances - nothing back as yet but once i get word i will update you with what is happening and what the Veritas position is.

Microsoft and AV companies seen to have moved quickly and fixes are expected within a week so i would expect RedHat and Veritas to be the same.