Forum Discussion

paulantok
Level 4
8 years ago

Migration from 5230 master/media to 5240 Master/Media Appliance

Hi We have scenario like master and media server running in single netbackup appliance 5230 version 2.7.2.Now customer wants to migrate the appliance 5230 to new 5240 version 2.7.3 (preinstalled which can be downgraded) appliance with existing data and catalogs which is least complex method we can work? your thoughts please
    Marianne
    7 years ago

NBU databases is the easy part - catalog backup and restore will be easiest (same hostname and Appliance version). If you can provide an NFS mount for basic disk STU to perform catalog backup, it will make the process even easier.

Dealing with dedupe and/or Advanced disk on the Appliance is the difficult part. 
    What are the sizes and are you duplicating or replicating to alternate storage?

This is how I see your options without consulting engagement:
    If all data on Appliance disk resides on alternate storage, then you could expire all disk backups and remove the storage from NBU (there are TNs on how to remove MSDP from NBU).
    Only take catalog backup when all 5230 disk storage (MSDP and Advanced Disk) has been removed from NBU.

You can then start clean with MSDP on new Appliance after Catalog recovery.

Consulting will be expensive but clean and less disruptive.
    Catalog manipulation services can migrate the master server to the new appliance and demote the current appliance to media server.

This way you can continue to use the 5230 (there are a good number of years left for support).
    If you want to decommission the 5230, you can then at your leisure start to duplicate images to the 5240 until you get to a point where you can remove the 5230 from the environment.

My guess is that the original post was not answered because all of us understand the complexity of disk storage on Appliances and that it cannot be unplugged and moved to another server.
    There is a saying: "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."
    I remember looking at this post originally and hoped that someone else with more hands-on experience would reply....

Just out of curiosity:
    Did the reseller that you are dealing with, not present you with a migration proposal?

6 Replies

Marianne
      Level 6

NBU databases is the easy part - catalog backup and restore will be easiest (same hostname and Appliance version). If you can provide an NFS mount for basic disk STU to perform catalog backup, it will make the process even easier.

Dealing with dedupe and/or Advanced disk on the Appliance is the difficult part. 
      What are the sizes and are you duplicating or replicating to alternate storage?

This is how I see your options without consulting engagement:
      If all data on Appliance disk resides on alternate storage, then you could expire all disk backups and remove the storage from NBU (there are TNs on how to remove MSDP from NBU).
      Only take catalog backup when all 5230 disk storage (MSDP and Advanced Disk) has been removed from NBU.

You can then start clean with MSDP on new Appliance after Catalog recovery.

Consulting will be expensive but clean and less disruptive.
      Catalog manipulation services can migrate the master server to the new appliance and demote the current appliance to media server.

This way you can continue to use the 5230 (there are a good number of years left for support).
      If you want to decommission the 5230, you can then at your leisure start to duplicate images to the 5240 until you get to a point where you can remove the 5230 from the environment.

My guess is that the original post was not answered because all of us understand the complexity of disk storage on Appliances and that it cannot be unplugged and moved to another server.
      There is a saying: "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."
      I remember looking at this post originally and hoped that someone else with more hands-on experience would reply....

Just out of curiosity:
      Did the reseller that you are dealing with, not present you with a migration proposal?

paulantok
        Level 4
        Thanks Marianne , I was thought the method you mentioned .since customer is bit hurry and storage space issue we added the new 5240 as new media server and duplicated all images to new appliance. so old 5230 still running as master server now we have to migrate this one to VERITAS virtual appliance . we are not expired the old images yet , you have any experience about how to achieve this and verities agreed to us that they will provide the Virtual appliance lic , after that we need to decommission the old 5230 Appliance we are partner for VERITAS unfortunately sales guy doesn't quote for Catman migration so got bit struck Thanks in advance