Forum Discussion

liuyang
Level 6
10 years ago

NBU appliance upgrade and catalog

Hi, my customer has one NBU 5230 appliance which is currently running on 2.5.3 and it is configured as a master server. There are some clients which are backed up to this appliance's dedup pool. All ...
    10 years ago

Catalog upgrade ? I think you mean the dedup conversion process? It starts on it's own after the upgrade and it can take a very long time to complete. If something fails it will produce output and a logfile for you to review.

I only upgraded an appliance once to 2.6 so wait for someone else to verify this.

10 years ago

The de-dupe pool and  the catalog meta data will be changed during the upgrade process.

The catalog change is not as substantial as it was going to NBU 7.5 so that wont take too long but the MSDP part can take a long time!

The Appliance is just a Linux master server so make sure you have a catalog backup (preferably on tape) so that if the worst happens you can re-build and do a catalog recovery .. though if an upgrade of this sort failed you will need help from support anyway to help get everything back as it needs to be.

10 years ago
    In this TN, it tell how to upgrade and how to rollback. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217250 It is better to download te upgrade RPM to upgrade appliance . if your appliance is a master, the NBU catalog will upgrade auto. and the MSDP catalog also will covert to new format. Steps you should do 1.duplicate the MSDP data to PTL 2.backup the NBU catalog 3.backup the MSDP catalog. 4.a good rollback solution need. becasuse when you ugrade from 2.5.X to 2.6.X. the appliance OS will upgrade.