Forum Discussion

Sid1987
Level 6
7 years ago

NBU Appliance Web GUI Architecture

Hi Team,

I want to understand how NBU Appliance web console works, as in what is running on an appliance(python or any other language) to access Netbackup data and then what is making it accessible over an https request. Does anyone has any idea what is the data flow and in what language?

Let me know if it's confusing question.

Thanks

Sid

11 Replies

• I don’t know... but I suspect that the Java admin console:
    - first authenticates to master
    - secondly, as soon as you click on activity monitor then forks a thread that sends a bpdbjobs continuous command for all columns and this thread is then permanently active until you close the console, and so the thread on the master which is actually running the bpbjobs command simply squirts all of the output back to the console via a network pipe, and the Java console then updates its internal tables of job details, and updates the display if any fields that are display have changed meta-data arrived from master.
    - thirdly, after the above then any actions in the console are simply formed into the equivalent command and that command is then sent to the master to execute.
    It’s not https based, at least not yet. Just proprietary application protocols that will never be divulged by the developers.
    What indeed are you plotting?
      sdo
      Doh - my bad - your question is re Appliance Console. I would expect something similar in that right at the bottom layer then any info request, or action, then always a process is executed to run NetBackup CLI commands. So, some HTML application code will be sending commands to the Http server daemon to have some commands executed and text output sent back and then the returned tex is processsrd:filtered and displayed by yet more html code.
      • As far as I know this isn't documented for customers or partners, Veritas really want users to treat an Appliance as a "black-box". In the past it was possible (but very unsupported) to install Appliance ISOs under VMware which you may be able use to take a look around safely if you really want. Good luck, Andrew

PS: If you install on VMware, it needs a very big install disk (say 160 GB) but it can be thin provisioned. Not sure if this still works post N2.7 (NBU 7.7) which is based on RHEL. Also for me it wouldn't work on Hyper-V...