Forum Discussion

EdgarR
Level 2
4 years ago

1 legacy server remova from policyl - Need To Keep Last Full Backup Data For 1 Year (DSU)

Hello Everyone,

My apologies if this question / situation has been posted before. 
I have looked everywhere,but I am unable to find  the post.

Issue (RedHat Linux Environment / Netbackup 7.6):
I have a policy with 2 hosts (server A and B).
- Policy is daily imcrementals with full weekend backup
- client B will be decommissioned in a few days
  - Need to keep the last full backup for 1 year
  - physical host will be re-purpose for something else 

Here is what I am planning to do to accomplish above request:
- increase retention period to 1 year on last full backup image  for "client B" using (bpexpdate) command
- stop netbackup on "client B"
- remove hostname "client B" from policy X

My questions are:
- Am I missing anything else
- Is it OK to remove hostname "client B" from the policy
- How do I restore data using the last backup image, if necesary, now that the physical server is gone

Is there anything I am doing wrong where the image backup will become useless?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Ed 

• It is perfectly fine to remove decommissioned client hostname from the policy.
    NBU keeps valid backup info in its catalog and does not need the client name to exist in a policy in order to restore.

To restore, you will select client B as Source Client, and select another client in the environment as Destination Client.
  • There is no need/way to "flag" the file as archive. As long as the backup policy specified that the retention was 1 year that's all that matters. If the backup didn't have 1 year retention but you want to keep it for 1 year, you would need to manually change the expiration date using bpexpdate.

If your last backup is a final full backup then that is the only backup you would need kept for 1 year. Those incrementals would do you no good.

3 Replies

• It is perfectly fine to remove decommissioned client hostname from the policy.
    NBU keeps valid backup info in its catalog and does not need the client name to exist in a policy in order to restore.

To restore, you will select client B as Source Client, and select another client in the environment as Destination Client.
      EdgarR
      Level 2

Hello Marianne,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

One last few question - just to make sure:

- Do I  need to set any kind of "archive" flag for the image I am extending its retention period of 1 year?
      - Do I also need to keep the week's incrementals for a year in order to restore from the full backup?

Again, many thanks for your assistance.

Ed

Krutons

There is no need/way to "flag" the file as archive. As long as the backup policy specified that the retention was 1 year that's all that matters. If the backup didn't have 1 year retention but you want to keep it for 1 year, you would need to manually change the expiration date using bpexpdate.

If your last backup is a final full backup then that is the only backup you would need kept for 1 year. Those incrementals would do you no good.