Forum Discussion

GlennG-NB
Level 4
13 years ago

7.5 Client Fails on Windows XP

We have NetBackup running on a Windows 2003 server and recently upgraded from 6.5.4 to 7.5.  Now we are installing the 7.5 client software on clients.  It seems to work on our Windows 2003 and 2008 clients, but we have one Windows XP machine where the 7.5 client doesn't work.  It produces an error 50.  I removed the 7.5 client and reinstalled the 6.5.4 client and it works fine.  Actually, I've done this twice.  Now I'm getting curious as to why 7.5 doesn't work.  Anyone encountered this before?  Here's a snip from the activitiy monitor detail where the job begins to go astray:

6/20/2012 9:28:55 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=3216) from client svr-bcmr: ERR - Unable to backup System State or Shadow Copy. Please check the state of VSS and associated Writers.INF - EXIT STATUS 69: invalid filelist specification
6/20/2012 9:28:55 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=3216) from client svr-bcmr: WRN - archive bits will NOT be cleared 
6/20/2012 9:28:55 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=3216) unexpected termination of client svr-bcmr       
6/20/2012 9:28:55 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=3216) could not send server status message      
6/20/2012 9:28:56 PM - Info bpbrm(pid=4016) child done, status 50       

We haven't done anything to the machine's settings, just simply installed the 7.5 client.  Thanks for any help.   -G.

• Have you checked OS compatibility Guide?

See p. 29 of NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

6 Replies

• Have you checked OS compatibility Guide?

See p. 29 of NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

• How sad is my life... indecision  
    11 pm in my part of the world... All yours!!

• According to a footnote on p. 29 in the compatibiity guide:

"2. NetBackup 7.x does not support Open File Backup on this platform. It is supported in NetBackup 6.x"

And our client is set up for Windows Open File backups, so that explains it.  Now wondering if it would work with 7.5 if we specified no open file backup.  Not enough to reinstall, though!

Thanks.   -G.

• NetBackup 7.5 IS supported on Windows XP for x86-32 and x86-64 (albeit without Open File Backup working per footnote 2).

NetBackup 7.5 is only unsupported on IA64 (ITANIUM) architecture (footnote 1).

I have a 7.5.0.x client on my own laptop here - it runs XP and it (mostly) works.  (I did have to change my policies from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, and I bet this limitation on OFB may have figured into that change somehow - in fact, I think my job details looked just like yours and I never made the connection until just now - hey look, even I learn stuff from Connect!  ;-)  )