Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Backing up of servers in the DMZ

I really need your help. I need to know if the following scenario would have worked and if so, an explanation of how.

We are all mindful of network security and our network engineers didn't like the idea of opening the ports we need to backup servers in the DMZ. To that end, the architect worked with them to add a media server in the DMZ, open all the ports needed for communication between the DMZ media server and the rest of the environment on the internal network. The thought was to have that media server in the DMZ act as a proxy for all communication between the DMZ clients and the backup environment internally. All backups for the DMZ would be funnelled through that media server to an internal media server that had connected storage. This way no ports would have to be opened for the individual clients in the DMZ as all comms would be through the DMZ media server.

I never saw this work and can't see a way that this scenario could work. Can you either confirm that this can't work or explain it if it's possible. The architect quit claiming that this was working, but it hasn't since I've been involved.  Our network engineers would like this to work and are exerting pressure on me to get it to work, but I can't see how it is possible.

Please help!

Dan Seymour

• So if I were able to get a storage device connected to this media server, I'm assuming this would work. 

Yes

> Would it be easier to connect it to the puredisk device? Would a disk solution have to sit in the DMZ as well?

Probably. I'm no network expert, but I would assume that configuration of it being inside the DMZ would be preferable.

6 Replies

• This is all done and I can see the media server, but there is no storage connected to the DMZ media server. According to the Network engineers, the DMZ media server was supposed to use storage devices connected to another media server.

• It has to have storage, otherwise it's not a media server

When you say its supposed to use storage devices connected to another media server Do you mean shared storage (i.e. this storage is also zoned to this media server?) what type of storage? tape drives, disk, puredisk?

• When this was set up, we had a VTL and physical tape library. Both are fiber connected to the internal environment. The DMZ media server has on fiber connection to anything so I don't think SSO was used here. Since then, we have added a NBU5000 to the internal network.

So if I were able to get a storage device connected to this media server, I'm assuming this would work. Would it be easier to connect it to the puredisk device? Would a disk solution have to sit in the DMZ as well?

Thanks

Dan

• So if I were able to get a storage device connected to this media server, I'm assuming this would work. 

Yes

> Would it be easier to connect it to the puredisk device? Would a disk solution have to sit in the DMZ as well?

Probably. I'm no network expert, but I would assume that configuration of it being inside the DMZ would be preferable.