Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup - Disk Dynamic Hyper-V Windows 2012 via Client

Good morning Mariane, can you help me? I'm having trouble backing up a client that has dinamic disk. My environment: Master: 7.6.02 OS: Linux red. hat 6 - Veritas Cluster Medias Servers: ...
    10 years ago

It seem we have missed this:

I run the backup via client installed on this virtual machine....

So, this should be treated as normal client backup with MS-Windows policy type? Not Hyper-V?

It seems that the backup has actually completed, but failed right at the end when snapshot info stored on the master server could not be obtained.

Info bpfis(pid=3452) done. status: 4207: Could not fetch snapshot metadata or state files

I had a similar problem recently when my laptop could not connect to the old demo master in the environment (current master/media was only listed and secondary Server).

You need to ensure connectivity between master and client (port connectivity and forward/reverse name lookup) or else disable snapshot backups.

See my post over here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/failing-backups-status-156#comment-10637661 

About the dynamic volume and this error: 

ERR - failure reading file: D:\BACKUP\MSSQL\bd_cob.bkp (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )
    2/14/2015 7:28:07 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=22237) from client SDOIINT01.oiinternet.corp: ERR - Snapshot Error while reading file: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy6\BACKUP\MSSQL\bd_cob.bkp  

You need to speak to SQL Admins - seems the may have deleted the .bkp file before NBU backup was completed. 
    You also need to co-ordinate with them to ensure that NBU backup does not start before SQL dump is 100% completed.

Why not rather use the NBU for SQL agent? The agent ensures a one-step backup and one-step restore.
    No need to co-ordinate SQL dumps and NBU backups, no multi-step backup and restore process, no need to manually take care of disk space on the backup volume.