Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup completed partially

Hello All,

I am facing on partially backup issue. Since yesterday , backup has completing partially. Kindly find the error and suggest the same.

Error bpbrm (pid=8495136) from client xxxx: ERR - Read error at block 177479801 reading 65536 bytes in file /dumps0/BACKUP/preeod/UBSFCR/full/FCRpreeod.dmp. Errno = 110: The media surface is damaged.

Thanks and Regards,

Sagar

• I'm going to go 'Maybe' with this one ...

I would say that a surface error would lead to a read error, but a read error would not necessarily lead to a surface area.

As mentioned above, it is a big assumption to make, that some read area is going to be reported as a surface error.

Or looking at it another way, we don't see surface errors reported for every read error (I'm talking generally here, across all read errors we see ...)  - so I'm thinking that in this case it knows more than has been found so far, which is why I am thinking there might be some scsi sense errors (asc/ ascq) which would be coming from the drive, and would be more accurately be able to suggest there is some surface issue.

The other possibility, of course is that is that I am wrong ....  :0(

• In theory a SCSI read error and a read error caused by incorrect formatted data should be different.

So the surface error *may* indicate a SCSI error of some sort, and not a read error caused by invalid data format - e.g. file system corruption.

Is that what you are have in mind in the previous post ?

16 Replies

• Unless I mis-understood of course ...

Yes, a filesystem tread error and a surface read error would cause the same probelm ...

• In theory a SCSI read error and a read error caused by incorrect formatted data should be different.

So the surface error *may* indicate a SCSI error of some sort, and not a read error caused by invalid data format - e.g. file system corruption.

Is that what you are have in mind in the previous post ?

• Hi All,

There was hardware issue(mount point issue). we have raised this query to OS team and they confirmed that it was mount point issue(FSCK failed at some point). Now they have taken the new database dump on other mount point and now backup is happening properly.

Thanks for your views and technotes.

Regards,

Sagar

• Trust NetBackup to reveal issues/errors/faults in your environment! Please remember to mark Solution(s) for post(s) that pointed you in the right direction.