Forum Discussion

yobole
Level 6
10 years ago

Backup exec restores support in Netbackup

We have just migrated to Netbackup from Backup Exec . However we still have a large number of tapes stored away in backup exec format which will need restoring from in Netbackup .

We have developed a process to import Backup exec Media in Netbackup with the help of the link below 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125069

However i understand Backup exec restores will not be supported in the next major Netbackup  version release . If this is the case we will have to import ALL our backup exec tapes now which will be a nightmare

• Keep a minimal BackupExec installation for possible restores.  That will properly be a much more smooth path than importing tapes into Netbackup.

5 Replies

• Keep a minimal BackupExec installation for possible restores.  That will properly be a much more smooth path than importing tapes into Netbackup.

• ^This. You could make your BE master a VM and then leave it powered down so it doesn't take up resources on the ESX server. Then you can fire it up whenever you need it.

• I agree with Nicolai, too.  Based on my experience a few years ago, cataloging the data from Backup Exec tapes into NetBackup is an absolute pain, and might possibly be impossible, depending on the number of backup tapes you need to be able to restore from.

If you decide to import them into NetBackup, be aware that any tapes that contain images ths span from one tape to another will need to be imported using Phase 1 and Phase 2 in less than a week.  If you intend to import everything in Phase 1 first, the first impages imported will likely expire from the catalog before you begin Phase 2.

Also, if you have Backup Exec tapes on LTO1 through LTO6 tapes, be aware that tape drives can only read tapes back 2 generations.  So an LTO 5 tape drive can only read LTO3, LTO4, & LTO5 tapes.  If you have any LTO1 or LTO2 tapes, your tape drives won't even be able to access any data on them anyhow. 

We have kept our BE tapes offsite, and if we ever encounter a reason to restore any of that data, it is our intention to send the tapes to a data recovery lab, like Kroll Ontrack.

• My understanding is that is will not import the tapes if they are encrypted...