Forum Discussion

BarakatiA
Level 3
14 years ago

bpstart_notify/bpend_notify Oracle ColdBackup

Dears,

Crontab file is used now in order to Start/Shutdown Oracle DB before  & after ColdBackup?

Where should I place bpstart&bpend script? what are the changes should be done on the script? is there any things needs to be done from Mster Server ?

your help is really appreciated.

Thanx in Advance

Regards,

Abdullah

• Hi,

You can use the exact same script you call from cron. Just rename the cron script that shuts down the DB bpstart_notify, place it in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin, and do the same for the cron script that starts up the DB. Renaming it to bpend_nofity. Alternitavely you can append .Policyname and even .schedulename to the file name of the scripts. This will have netbackup run it only for certain policies, or certain policies AND certain schedules.

If you dont append policy name to the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify (example bpstart_notify.OracleServer1 and bpend_notify.OracleServer1) it will run it each time any backup runs on the client (oracle server)

Nothing to be done on the master.

14 Replies

• I have attached  Unix notify scripts (I had to attach .txt to allow the attachments). Please note that it's not a requirement to use the samples provided by Symantec. The only requirement is that must be executable by root user and must complete within 5 minutes.

If you decide to use these, please ftp to your Unix/Linux client in ASCII mode (binary mode adds ^M characters to EOL and you will to do 'dos2unix' to get rid of them).

• I agree with Nicolai's response to your post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/oracle-db-hot-backup-issue

Use RMAN.

Either use RMAN to backup to disk and then backup this disk backup with a normal filesystem backup, or even better, use RMAN with the NBU for Oracle agent.