Forum Discussion

nick80
Level 4
11 years ago

Catalog backup size not reduced after catalog compression

Hi, Our catalog backup is about 98GB in size and runs for about 3 hours. We are looking at ways of speeding this up and have gone down the compression route. (Netbackup 6.5.0.6 - Windows 2003 R2 Ma...
    11 years ago

This is something you may need to test more as it depends on how things work with the catalog compression.

I have dug through my old notes for a customer i dealt with a few years ago who used compressed files on their systems (windows compression)

During the tests we backed up a folder containing their compressed files - it backed up 5 GB of data in 33 minutes

We then uncompressed the files and ran the backup again - this time it backed up exactly the same amount of data but it only took 11 minutes - so three times as fast.

This suggested that that type of compression caused the files backed up to be uncompressed in the backup stream causing a overhead on the backup and really slowing it down - and still reporting the full backup size

As those folders showed up a blue in Windows explorer the same as the catalog files do that you have then i assume it uses the same type of compression method and from that i assume it will do the same during the backup

I do not see that documented anywhere but i do have my test results to work from

Hope this helps