Forum Discussion

13 years ago

client read and client connect time out?

what is the difference between client read and client connect time out?

And how it can be changed from nbu console?

• Before a media server can run a backup (for example) it has to make a connection to the client.

This is like Nicolai phoning me. Until I pick up the phone the connection is not made.

Nicolai only has 5 minutes, before he must go out.  This is like the client connect timeout - if I do not pick up the phone within 5 minutes, Nicolai will hang up, and go out.

So, the media server "phones the client" - the client must answer in this client connect time period.

The client read time out:

Fortunatly, I answer the phone quickly, and Nicolai asks me some questions.  I can answer 2 of them, but am stuck on the 3rd,  Nicolai tells me he has to go out soon, and I need to get back to him in 2 minutes.

I have to pick up my other phone and call Marianne ... whilst I am alking to Marianne, I am not talking to Nicolai and he cannot hear anything.

This is the client read timeout, Nicolai has made the connection to me (I picked up the phone) but at the moment, I am not sending any information to him.  He can only wait two minutes, else he wil hang up and go out.

So, in real life, once the connnection is made, the client must send information to the media server within the client read timeout.  If no data is sent for this time, the media server will drop the connection.  As soon as th client send some information, even if only a small amount, the counter is reset to 0.  If the data stops again, the counter will restart, if it reaches the limit without anymore data being sent, the connection will drop.

Fortunately, Marianne knows all the NetBackup manuals 'off by heart', so she can tell me the answer quickly and I can pass this to Nicolai before he hangs up.

Regards,

Martin

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • How sad is my life? indecision

Nope, I just have them all downloaded and URL's in text files!

Indexing system and memory getting overloaded though!  wink