Forum Discussion

Tabriz
Level 5
3 years ago

Create Read Only User

Who has experience related to this issue? I read about the NBAC. But l don't to do risk). Who can help me to do this procedure correctly? So, in our infrastructure, the Master and Media Server are ...
    davidmoline
    3 years ago

HI Tabriz 

I agree with Nicolai that NBAC is a beast and should be avoided. What are you trying to achive though? What do you want to allow (or stop) your user from doing? (I'd suggest RBAC, but of course this is not possible for the version you are using).

As for auth.conf, the following should help you craft an entry for a particular user - there are more details on this in one of the Server Admin guides

The following is a sample content of the auth.conf file on a Windows NetBackup master server:
    Windows-domain\BKADMIN ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
    Windows-domain\BKOPS ADMIN=AM JBP=ENDUSER+BU
    * ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU

The above sample auth.conf file allows:

• Windows-domain\BKADMIN user to fully manage the NetBackup environment
    • Windows-domain\BKOPS user to monitor NetBackup Activity Monitor and, perform backup and restore tasks
    • All other users to use BAR GUI and, perform backup and restore tasks

The auth.conf file can be configured with specific Windows domain users with ADMIN and JBP keywords (this assumes the system can authenticate using AD, otherwise use local system users).

ADMIN keyword specifies the NetBackup administration applications and the related administrator capabilities.

JBP keyword specifies the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore client application (BAR GUI) and the related capabilities.

The table below shows the NetBackup Java Authorisation ADMIN keywords.

Table 1 Java Authorisation Admin Keywords

ADMIN Keyword

Capability/Application

ALL

Indicates that the user has administrative privileges for all of the applications that are listed in this table.

AM

Activity Monitor

BMR

Bare Metal Restore

BPM

Backup Policy Management

BAR or JBP

Backup, Archive, and Restore

CAT

Catalog

DM

Device Monitor

HPD

Host Properties

MM

Media Management

REP

Reports

SUM

Storage Unit Management

VLT

Vault Management

The table below shows the NetBackup Java Authorisation JBP keywords.

Table 2 Java Authorisation JBP Keywords

JBP Keyword

Capability/Application

ALL

Allows the users to perform all actions, including server-directed restores. (Restores to a client that is different from the client that is logged into.) Server-directed restores can only be performed from a NetBackup master server.

ENDUSER

Allows the users to perform restore tasks from true image or regular backups plus redirected restores.

BU

Allows the users to perform backup tasks.

ARC

Allows the users to perform archive tasks. The capability to perform backups (BU) is required to allow archive tasks.

RAWPART

Allows the users to perform raw partition restores.