Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Doubt About Backup Catalog

Hi everyone I know about  for backup catalog netbackup will depends because some details there are in every environment. Actually we have one job full for backup catalog running 11:00 a.m, but I ...
    2 years ago
    You don’t ‘lose’ the backups in the 23hr window you mention, they are just not in the catalog once it is recovered.

They can be imported from storage, which would recreate the entries in NBDB.

Of course, if you have more frequent backups, there is less to reimport.

On the subject of catalog backups …

Tape is the safest place for the catalog - tapes of looked after properly are massively reliable but given anything can fail, I’d have a duplicate just in case.

Basic disk is my next choice, it’s easy to recover from (providing you didn’t have disk failure/ corruption / malware that wiped out all your catalog backups (hence my comment that tape is the safest place).

Adv disk is the next choice, although if a system is rebuilt the mediaID of the adv disk often changes which is a bit of a pain as you have to ‘fix’ the DR file first.

Last choice is MSDP - it’s time consuming to get it all back up to be able to even start recovering the catalog when compared to the other storage I’ve mentioned above. For example, do you know the msdp username / passwd used when the system was set up, in my experience most people don’t, hence my comments about it being a pain to set back up.