Forum Discussion

Mytho
Level 2
7 years ago

Duplicating old images to new target

Good morning,

This is a preventive support request, as I don't have a problem yet. :)

Currently I have a server running NBU 7.7.3 that has no more space left. Due to location and other restrictions, there is no real way of expanding the disks or adding new ones. The current solution is backing up (MSDP) to these local disks and then replicating to a DR location. 

The new plan to avoid this is to add a NFS target creating a permanent mountpoint in the OS, reduce the current retention to the local disks (to free up space), and duplicate the data with the correct (longer) retention to this new NFS location.
Basically, add another secondary job to the existing SLP, duplicating to the new NFS.

My question is: once I add the new duplication process to the SLP, is it possible to run it on the old images, so it gets copied to the NFS before I reduce the local disk retention?

Will it work if I just run bpduplicate, or is it more complicated than that?

Many thanks in advance

JL

6 Replies

Nicolai

true - and you can either have more than one MSDP pool per server.

Mytho
      Level 2

Thanks Nicolai, I believe we are adding enough space in NFS. The primary job will still be going as MSDP to local disk, but with a lot less retention.

This solution (designed by you, by the way) grew way faster than expected and suddenly we were without expansion options, and failing backups daily.

This NFS solution is temporary, before the permanent gets implemented (new project).

Hope you are doing ok

Take care

JL

Marianne
        Level 6
        If you want to use the NFS as duplication destination with SLP, you will need to configure it as Advanced Disk in NBU.
        Basic Disk is not supported with SLP.