Forum Discussion

RamNagalla
14 years ago

EMM database error 196

I have solris Master with NBU 6.5.6 and Windows media server with NBU version 6.5.6..

when I run the vmoprcmd -d from the media server its giving the error

"EMM database error 196"

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.6
Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM serv
er is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the
EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>

any suggestions on this..

• Changing NetBackup server's name is not supported. You should get it back to previous name, or reinstall Media server with new name. If you want not to take these options, try to replace old name entry under HKLM¥software¥VERITAS while all media sever process is stopped. But I'm not sure this is all to do. I strongly recommend you to change name to previous one, or reinstallation

4 Replies

• Have a look at this article - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/troubleshooting-emm-error-196

• now I find one more issue.  i have resolved the EMM database error 196... the reason was  i have renamed the media server name in the emm with nbemm and was not updated in bp.conf.. once it update the bp.conf the error was gone..\

but now.. the tape is not comming to active..

when i run the vmprcmd -d its saying.

ltid is not active in <oldmediaserver name> 

and even tpconfig -d also showing noting..

but when i update the media server name in emm database.. it has updates the storage units and the tape dives. i can the tape drives with the new name in the master gui.

but the media server is still showing it self with the old name... and litd is not running..

media server is windows 2008  NBU 6.5.6

master is unix NBU 6.5.6

any suggestions?

• Changing NetBackup server's name is not supported. You should get it back to previous name, or reinstall Media server with new name. If you want not to take these options, try to replace old name entry under HKLM¥software¥VERITAS while all media sever process is stopped. But I'm not sure this is all to do. I strongly recommend you to change name to previous one, or reinstallation