Forum Discussion

Sean_-
Level 5
15 years ago

Enable unrestricted media sharing for all media servers

Hi,

Just would like check about the pros and cons for enabling unrestricted media sharing for all media servers.

There are few benefits for enabling the feature:

■ Increases media utilization by reducing the number of partially full media.
■ Reduces media-related expenses because fewer media are required and fewer media are vaulted (NetBackup Vault option).
■ Reduces administrative overhead because you inject fewer scratch media into the robotic library.
■ Increases media life because media are mounted fewer times. Media are not repositioned and unmounted between write operations from different media servers.

Is there cons for enabling it?

In what scenario or when should I enabling it?

Thanks.

• I have been using unrestricted media sharing for a long time. I haven't had any issues, so got for it !.

Tapes need to unassigned (scratch) before they can be enabled for  "unrestricted media sharing". So there will be a grace time where you need to monitor the media get enabled.

If you need to de-commission a media server, use the "Netbackup media server decommission tool". The current documentation won't work when media sharing is enabled.

1 Reply

• I have been using unrestricted media sharing for a long time. I haven't had any issues, so got for it !.

Tapes need to unassigned (scratch) before they can be enabled for  "unrestricted media sharing". So there will be a grace time where you need to monitor the media get enabled.

If you need to de-commission a media server, use the "Netbackup media server decommission tool". The current documentation won't work when media sharing is enabled.