Forum Discussion

animalman
Level 4
14 years ago

[Exchange2010 DAG] Restore Individual email/messages using GRT to another user failed

I can restore Individual email/messages to original user complete.

but I can not restore Individual email/messages to another user with error "restore not initiated the request file to recover failed ,error 5".

I'm not sure in step to perform restore  Individual email/messages to another user. and how to specify destination path to restore

Thank you,

animalman

• Select the mailbox items you want to restore and use option number 2 "Restore everything to different location (Maintaining .......)"

and specify the path to the mailbox you want to restore.  Keep same structure, only change the mailbox name in the path.

If you are not sure about the path to the mailbox you are restoring to, create the <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpbkar log directory on the exchange server. Run the backup and search for the mailbox name in the log to find the path that is used.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

8 Replies

• Restore on to an RSG and move the required messages manually to specific mail box.

--Praveen

• Select the mailbox items you want to restore and use option number 2 "Restore everything to different location (Maintaining .......)"

and specify the path to the mailbox you want to restore.  Keep same structure, only change the mailbox name in the path.

If you are not sure about the path to the mailbox you are restoring to, create the <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpbkar log directory on the exchange server. Run the backup and search for the mailbox name in the log to find the path that is used.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

• Oddy - I think you meant tar folder to troubleshoot restore problems?

•  

What I was trying to say that if you are not sure which mailbox name that netbackup is using for the alternative mailbox you are trying to restore to you can run a backup of the mailboxes to check the naming in the bpbkar log. 

but you are right, you can create the <install dir>\netbackup\logs\tar to troubleshoot the restore.

Sorry for the confusion.

/Oddy

• Oups, forgot this is a granular restore, there is no tar log created to GRT restores.

You need following log directories to troubleshoot.

On the DAG server
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\beds
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpresolver
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\ncflbc <used for browsing the Granular backups>

On the CAS server
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\beds
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\ncfgre
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\nbfsd

On the media server
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpbrm
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bptm
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\nbfsd

on the master server
    <install dir>\netbackup\logs\bprd

In your case it works to restore to the original mailbox so I would think that problem is just to specify the correct name of the mailbox in the "Restore everything to a different location" box.

I hope this helps

/Oddy

• Hello,

Source is "/Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups/xxxdag.xxx.co.th/Microsoft Information Store/Supervisor Store/Database/Boonlerd Songthong \[boonlerd\]/Top of Information Store/Inbox"

I specify Destination is

"/Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups/xxxdag.xxx.co.th/Microsoft Information Store/SharedMail Store/Database/Recovery Mail \[recovery\]/Top of Information Store/Inbox/" 

It will return error "Invalid Datination"

But , if I specify Destination is

"/Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups/xxxdag.xxx.co.th/Microsoft Information Store/Supervisor Store/Database/test \[test\]/Top of Information Store/Inbox"

I will complete to restore.

I need to know How to specify dastination and restore email/message to other mail store

Thank a lot

• I can restore to other mailbox and other mail store group complete!!!!!!

Thanks a lot