Forum Discussion

Steven05
Level 4
9 years ago

filling my catalog.

Hello, I have an alert about filling my catalog. saved some of my servers (All_Local_Drives) have over ten million files for a full weekly. the problem may come out of the volume of these se...
    9 years ago

Apologies, but I don't have any specific answers - i.e. I'm not aware of any ability to tune the compression - i.e. make it faster perhaps by selecting/choosing less agressive compression.

1) Compression and decompression are known to be CPU expensive.  Some, or more modern, CPUs have CISC features which implment compression in hardware within the CPU itself.  RISC based CPUs would have to use s/w routines to implement compression/decompression.

2) The delays... is a trade off between capacity and performance.  If compression/decompression were instant and resource impact free, with zero latency, then it would be built in to everything and wouldn't be an option/choice.

3) Not sure what you mean by this?  What is SEU?

4) Is your master Unix/Linux or Windows?  The catalog image database compression techniques used by NetBackup Server on Unix/Linux is different to the techniques used on NetBackup Server for Windows.  For Windows based NetBackup Server, it leverages NTFS in-situ folder and file compression (aka:  Windows NTFS "compaction") i.e. it is native to the NTFS file system.  Whereas on Unix/Linux, then NetBackup Server will make calls (in the background and hidden from view) to the 'compress' command at the OS CLI layer.

4a) There may be methods of tuning these - but I myself am unaware of any options.  If you do find out either way - then please do post an update.  Thx.