Forum Discussion

A_M_Ash_
Level 6
13 years ago

Hand Over NetBackup

Hi,

I am going to hand over all backup environment using symantec NetBackup 7.0.1

olso to hand over NetBackup 7.0.1 target media product  as : Data Domain ..  EDL ... Centera ..  and tape library.

my question is that i need all question that must be covered in that handover to be able to do backup tasks

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to all of this

• You can probably learn the very basics of how NetBackup works in a week, but not nearly enough to troubleshoot issues when they arrise.  I would suggest you check with a 3rd party company who provides training and professional services and work with your boss to get them involved with you now, before you have issues.  Your backup environment seems to include multiple disk backup products as well as tape, which would inidcate you have a complex set of backup policies and client backup schedules.  Turning this over to someone with only a week's training is really not a good idea.

13 Replies

• You can probably learn the very basics of how NetBackup works in a week, but not nearly enough to troubleshoot issues when they arrise.  I would suggest you check with a 3rd party company who provides training and professional services and work with your boss to get them involved with you now, before you have issues.  Your backup environment seems to include multiple disk backup products as well as tape, which would inidcate you have a complex set of backup policies and client backup schedules.  Turning this over to someone with only a week's training is really not a good idea.

• Following on from Rons post - learn how to use the logs :  (I personally expect ANY NBU admin to be able to set up unified and legacy logs, change the logging level and colloect the correct logs without help - it's basic stuff and should be learnt as one of the first things).

Set up the legacy logs (eg, logs in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs)

Set up 'Unified logs'  - for example nbemm.  These logs use commands such as vxlogview/ vxlogcfg

Be familiar with only send the bits of the logs that we need ... for example.

If you have a backup failure at 14.00 on 12/4/2012 then we probably don't need you to send in every log on the machine (yes people do do this ), be guided by the TSE, but we  would probably only need the logs covering the time period of a bit before the job starts to a bit after the job finishes.

This means you might have to open the logs and grab only the lines needed.

Annoyingly, the legacy logs all have the same name .... eg.

The logs in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm have exactly the same name as the logs in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd , that is log.<date>

Support really appreciate it if you could rename these before you send them in, for example :

bptm_log.<date>

You could learn to use the nbcplogs command - this is quite neat as it will grab the logs between to times that you specify, and makes collecting the logs easy.

You could also look at this TN:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805 

If you work through this, you should have a good understanding

Also, understand that if you send in logs a, b and c but it is then found out, for what ever reason that we need log 'd' also,  and this wasn't already set up, then ALL the logs + 'd' would need to be collected again.  The different logs for a problem, must ALL cover the same time period.

Notice at the beginning there are some questions.  When ever you put a post up here ,  or log a suppoer call you should answer these questions.  The questions are a bit generic, however, if one questio is N/A to your problem, perhaps you could change it a but so that it is.

Learn also how to run nbsu.  This is the NBU support script that gathers a lot of information about the install.  When ever you log a call with Symantec (unless perhaps it is just a question) this should be run on the affected machines and sent in as soon as possible - nbsu should always be run with the -c -t optioons , so 'nbsu -c -t'  To help you, nbsu is in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support, and the output from the script would be found a few levels down in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support/output

Martin

• Hi,

Is there any Add about hand over questions in NetBackup 7.0.1 on unix