Forum Discussion

9 years ago

How to restore HCART3 tapes with HCART2 density drives

Hi,

We have recently moved to new IBM library TS3500 with HCART2 density drives.(IBM drives)

This library is currently in use for backups with HCART2 density tapes.

We had taken the backups in previuos IBM library TS3500 with HCART3 density drives and tapes (IBM drives)

Now I need to restore old tapes using new library.

Q1 - May I know how it can be done without impacting the current running backups.

Q2 - Is drive density change from HCART2 to HCART3 will be applicable only to the drive we are changing the density ? Rest drive can function as per normal ?

Q3 - Is there service restart or service downtime required as and when the old tapes to be restored ?

Q4 - In new library we are using default barcode rule as last 6 chars "3:4:5:6:7:8" whereas old library it was "1:2:3:4:5:6". Will that have any impact in reading the tapes ?

Q5 - If this setup is not correct, please let me know any solution so that I can easily backup new data and restore the old data without any changes every time ?

12 Replies

• Hi Marianne,

NEW library - The drive type is HCART2 and model number "IBM     03592E07        378D" , robot - "IBM 03584L22 C450"

OLD library - The drive type is HCART3 and model number "IBM     03592E05        1D12" , robot - "IBM 03584L22 C262"

• Firstly, confirm actual drive types and model number to confirm that the new drives can indeed read the old media. NBU drive and tape density is nothing more than a label. Changing drive density to the same as the media does not automatically mean it will work. I will answer the rest of your questions when we know that old media can indeed be read by the new drives.