Forum Discussion

Andy2345
Level 6
12 years ago

inventory

Hi ALL Mates,

I have below doubts regarding NBU

• Media which is drive 1 will always go back to the same slot from which it came after backup?
  • If media is in drive 1 and it came from slot 2.And i ran inventory,will my new media will go to that slot 2?
  • Can i manually move media from drive to a different slot from which it came?
  • will my drive be down in case 2?
  • can media be moved to different slots from where it first came into drive?
  •  

1 Media which is drive 1 will always go back to the same slot from which it came after backup?

2 If media is in drive 1 and it came from slot 2.And i ran inventory,will my new media will go to that slot 2?

3 Can i manually move media from drive to a different slot from which it came?

4 will my drive be down in case 2?

5 can media be moved to different slots from where it first came into drive?

Your answers in ()

1. (yes)  Correct

2.(no)  The library should know that there is a tape already allocated to that slot, and hopefully not put another tape in that slot. 

3. (yes)  Yes, but not sure why you would want to do this.

4. (yes)  If another tape was 'manually' put into that slot (for example by robtest) then yes, I would think the drive would go down, as the library wouldn't be able to unload it.

5.(yes)  I agree, but not sure why you would do this.

Martin

6 Replies

• I read the link u provided.

Can anybody just provide me with one word answer for these questions?

• We will no longer answer theoretical questions. 

As per my previous post: 

You can easily answer your own questions by doing tests in your own environment.

We have no problem troubleshooting REAL issues.

•  

As per Mariannes post, we have said time and time again that too many what/if questions are being asked.

As I have said myself, the occasional question is fine, but not those to which the answers are easily found by searchinf this forum/ google / manuals, or trying it out yourself.

I am not going to answer these quiestions for that reason, but I will give some minor input of bits that you will probably not find in the manuals/ searching

1 Media which is drive 1 will always go back to the same slot from which it came after backup?

2 If media is in drive 1 and it came from slot 2.And i ran inventory,will my new media will go to that slot 2?

1.  What do you think ?

2.  The robot has an inventory of it's own, all a NBU inventory does is make the robot share it's own inventory with NBU.  There is enough info in this explanation to work out the answer.

3. Look up the available commands in robtest

4. Work out 2. and you will have the answer

5.  Same question as 2.

Martin

•  

Your answers in ()

1. (yes)  Correct

2.(no)  The library should know that there is a tape already allocated to that slot, and hopefully not put another tape in that slot. 

3. (yes)  Yes, but not sure why you would want to do this.

4. (yes)  If another tape was 'manually' put into that slot (for example by robtest) then yes, I would think the drive would go down, as the library wouldn't be able to unload it.

5.(yes)  I agree, but not sure why you would do this.

Martin