Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Move robot control

Currently media serverA controls TLD1, media serverB controls TLD0.

In a DR situation we have to configure media server A to control TLD0 as media serverB is gone. Do I have to delete and re-add the library on media serverA or is there a way to modify TLD0? 

When I use tpconfig -d on media serverA it only sees TLD1 so I assume I can't update TLD0 from media serverA using tpconfig -update. 

Thanks in advance.

• Mark is correct - 'normal' attempt to delete devices from the GUI or cmd will produce an error.

Rather use  '\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename (server_name) -machinetype media'
    Note: This will remove ALL configured devices for the specified host.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64327

Please remember to also configure restores to be done by serverA after you have run Device Config Wizard.

Master Host Properties -> Master -> General server -> Media host override

Please also read through this TN for hints and tips: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65274

The TN is written for a Unix environment and is based on Catalog restore procedure. You will obviously skip this step.

9 Replies

• Once you have done your DR catalog recovery just re-run the device configuration wizard to update that serverA controls both robots.

Obviously serverA does need to be connected to the robotics for this to work

Hope this helps

• Thanks for the reply.

The netbackup binaries and database files are mirroed to the remote site so we don't normally have to do a DR catalog recovery.

Will the device configuration wizard run from the DR master server allow me to modify TLD0 even if the master server can't talk to the original media serverB?

• If you dont have serverB at all i would delete all drives and robots shown under devices that belong to serverB first then run the wizard against serverA only

It may complain as it cannot connect to serverB so see how it goes and do it from a command line if needs be

Hope this helps

• Mark is correct - 'normal' attempt to delete devices from the GUI or cmd will produce an error.

Rather use  '\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename (server_name) -machinetype media'
    Note: This will remove ALL configured devices for the specified host.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64327

Please remember to also configure restores to be done by serverA after you have run Device Config Wizard.

Master Host Properties -> Master -> General server -> Media host override

Please also read through this TN for hints and tips: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65274

The TN is written for a Unix environment and is based on Catalog restore procedure. You will obviously skip this step.

• Actually it's unclear what your DR situation is... is it a total site down which involves master server and those 2 media servers? Or just the media serverB (which can be at a remote site)?

If only media serverB is unavailable, and in real life, you can't do anything on it - not even shutting down its NBU services. That case you can still physically connect TLD0 to media serverA, no need to change TLD1, but just add an additional TLD0 onto it. The key is to have serverA OS recognizes the new device (TLD0), only then device configuration would work.

• We are simulating DR the site going away which includes the master and a media server.

My plan is to redefine the library TLD0 as TLD3 by making it available to Server A via zoning. move the media to standalone and then inventory the new TLD3 library and hopefully all will be available. Looks like some of the commands suggested in the previous replies will help clean things up as well. Will post back on Monday with my results.

Thanks for all of your input you have been a great help.

• DR means DISASTER RECOVERY - where Disaster means a complete site outage, right?

Your DR plans should include total different site, all different hardware (master, media, robot, offsite backup tapes, etc...)

• we have cross site backups in place so the servers in building A backup up to a media server in building a that is attached via fiber channell to a tape library in building B. The same is true for Building B.

Our master resides in building A so we ar simulating Building A going away which means we loose our master and the media server the controls the library. The test went pretty good we did have some issues with the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER not working quite the way we thought it would.

The DR for the master server itself was flawless a bit of work left to do on the media server portion. 

• I know you have already marked this as Solved but you could, if all Media Servers and libraries are in the same NetBackup environment set up a Server Group for Media Sharing and include the Media Servers from both sites in that group

This helps with tape ownership etc. between the sites as any Media Server can use the tapes when doing restores