Forum Discussion

9 years ago

MSDP Catalog Protection

I have read through the documentation on how to setup the policy to protect your MSDP catalog data, but to me it seems excessive in a way. Why can you not just create a normal Standard policy type via the console and then only include the directories you need to backup? Why would Veritas force you to setup, or at least annotate their documentation in this way, this one policy via command line using the drcontrol command?

To me it would be much simpler if A) these catalog pieces had a config wizard just like Configure the Catalog Backup does or B) as I mentioned above you just create your policy like normal and then add the below paths...

/database_path/databases/catalogshadow
/storage_path/etc
/storage_path/var
/usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/pd.conf
/usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/mtstrm.conf
/database_path/databases/spa
/database_path/databases/datacheck

Is that feasible or is there something that happens with the drcontrol command that isn't mentioned? I am trying to understand why this one policy creation process seems to be quite convoluted when compared to any other policy creation process.

• From what I've seen so far... to me... the items to add to both the "selection list" of a backup policy AND to an "include list" on the client (i.e. MSDP server)  is the output from "pddeDR list_dr"  because this is the list of what MSDP thinks it needs to protect.

I haven't seen, or thought of yet, a situation where the two are not the same or might not be the same, or where we might need either to be different - but then I'm tired now, and not thinking properly anymore.

To my mind, if the selection list of a policy and the include list of a client are the same, then they can never be excluded - unless we goof with a "policy name" and/or "schedule name" file name extension on an "include list" - and/or the policy name or schedule names changes at some point in the future.

And this is all based on the proviso that you spotted earlier!    Does the "drcontrol -new_policy" command do anything else behind the scenes?  (which won't be done if we don't execute it).  Can we ever be sure?

20 Replies