Forum Discussion

AlanTLR
Level 5
12 years ago

NetBackup 7.1 Media (Device) Manager Won't stay started

We recently switched to capacity-based licensing and now our Windows media servers won't start as media servers.  The first symptom of this was that we were having trouble with one of our media s...
    12 years ago

Seems like a comms issue with mfp01-2.

Fist of all - you have two separate media server entries for this server - one with shortname and another with FQDN (instead of one entry with emm alias for alternate name).

Checking with the host "mfp01-2"...
    Checking with the host "mfp01-2.hs.azdhs.gov"...

When you previously decommissioned this media server, which name did you use - FQDN or shortname?
    You should have one entry only - not both (like with other workin media servers).

Also, returned emtries failed for FQDN and shortname returned FQDN for EMM server where other media servers returned shortname.

MEDIA          7.1                 mfp01-1                  wayback        
    MEDIA          7.1                 mfp01-2                  wayback.hs.azdhs.gov

I have learned that consistency works best - either shortname or FQDN - not a mix.

I have also seen that media servers that cannot be contacted cause all sorts of issues with resource broker on the master server - like jobs queing for long times and long delays between identifying resources and assigning them.

So, my suggestion is to first of all get rid of FQDN for media server to avoid attempts to communicate with it:

<unknown>      UNKNOWN RELEASE (-2)mfp01-2.hs.azdhs.gov     <unknown>      

*Failed to get the configuration for the host "mfp01-2.hs.azdhs.gov". client hostname could not be found(48)
    Try 'nbemmcmd  -deletehost .....'
    Hopefully this will work without issues. If there are EMM device or media or image entries, command will fail.
    Next, get all emmserver entries consistent with:
    nbemmcmd -setemmserver

After all server names have been cleaned up, try to activate mfp01-2 for disk and tape:

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <media-server> -machinestateop set_tape_active -machinetype media -masterserver <master>