Forum Discussion

daza
Level 4
12 years ago

NetBackup 7.5 full Catalog Recovery

Hi,

First time performing full Catalog Recovery on Windows Netbackup 7.5 got into an odd issue. Built a new Windows 2003 x64 server in the lab with same SP as in production and installed NetBAckup 7.5.0.1 as in production, difference is in the tape hardware, single T10k, versus a silo in production.

Made a full Catalog backup with a DR file. Load the tape into the drive, added the tape to the CatalogBackup volume pool and successfully completed the Full Catalog Recovery from the Admin console GUI.

As a result – can see all the policies and looks like all the images were restored to …\NetBackup\db\images folder, but nothing else has been restored – NO storage devices, NO media, NO media servers …

So, the question is – what is changed in 7.5 – Do I have to perform any additional steps to recover EMM and NBDB to get the the same configuration as at the production site.

Anybody with NetBackup 7.5 Catalog Recovery ?

Thanks

• Great idea. The Catalog tapes had the 2 stages backed up, but the tapes were owned by another media server, so even I changed the hostname in the DR file - did not help, but after changing the Media Host Override to the DR media server - the Recovery completed successfully with EMM and NBDB recovered.

Thank you all for the help

16 Replies

• On the live side, are there any sybolic links that you are using to relocate the /usr/opevn/db or .../db/data dirs ?

Martin

• @daza - I am curious to know on which master you are looking for staging folder and why?

staging is a temporary phase during backup and restore. As Martin suggested - perform another backup on Prod master and monitor each stream - check Windows explorer while staging phase is running and also when relational database is backed up.

Ensure that you copy the newest DR-file. If I remember correctly, there is a problem with catalog recovery if newer images are found for relational database upon completion of the images restore phase - or not found at all in images.

Complete backup on Prod master followed by recovery on test master.

One more thing: PLEASE upgrade to 7.5.0.4 ASAP - there were some issues with NBU catalogs that were only resolved in 7.5.0.3. 

• Good points Marianne - if there are no sym links floating around, then my next idea would be some issue with te DR file, or the wrong DR file being used.

THe suggestion of a new full, would mean there is only the refernece to one backup in the DR file, which simplifies things a little.

Martin

• Just one more thought that has caught people out before ... do you have any exclusions set on your live Master, just in case files are being skipped.

To double check on the live Master open up the BAR GUI select the Master as the source client and NBU-Catalog as the policy type and see if all the files actually exist within the backup.

• Great idea. The Catalog tapes had the 2 stages backed up, but the tapes were owned by another media server, so even I changed the hostname in the DR file - did not help, but after changing the Media Host Override to the DR media server - the Recovery completed successfully with EMM and NBDB recovered.

Thank you all for the help

• Ahh, the DR environment did not match the 'original' ...

Still, fixed, which is the main thing.

Martin