Forum Discussion

tarangdce
Level 4
13 years ago

NetBackup Accelerator with DataDomain

Hi, Need some help on accelerator with data domain as a backup destination. We are planing for NetBackup 7.5 upgrade with FETB license. Can someone please let me know "Is there any dependancy for...
    13 years ago

NetBackup Accelerator is an OpenStroage feature. OpenStorage partners need to update their plugins to support the new APIs made available by Symantec and get the plugin qualified for Accelerator. Note that Optimized Synthetic backup (a feature released since NetBackup 6.5.4) and NetBackup Accelerator (a feature released with NetBackup 7.5) are two different qualifications. 

Partners are developing these plugins so that they get competitive advantage over devices without OpenStorage support. Further, the more OpenStorage features a partner support (e.g. Optimized duplication, Optimized Synthesis, Auto Image Replication, NetBackup Accelerator etc.), the better competitive advantage they get over others with lesser number of OpenStorage features. Hence Symantec offers NDA to partners so that their development and release plans for the plugins are protected until they formally make their announcement.

Thus, Symantec cannot share anything related to where a particular partner is in terms of supporting a specific OpenStorage feature. We encourage customers to contact respective partners for their backend device. Hope this helps to understand why we cannot speak for the upcoming features in partner OST plugins! 

I can talk about what is already released by partners. Data Domain currently supports Optimized Synthetic Backups. Their plugin is does not support for NetBackup Accelerator. I would recommend talking to EMC if you need the latest info in support for NetBackup Accelerator.