yobole
Level 6
11 years ago

NetBackup client-side deduplication and Multiple policies

NetBackup client-side deduplication and multiple policies 

I found this article 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO13907

And especially 

A NetBackup client using change journal support must belong to only one policy. To use one policy avoids the confusion that multiple backup settings causes. Multiple backup settings can cause conflicted update sequence number (USN) information in the permanent record “ 

We wanted to setup two policies to backup a Netbackup client with multiple volume. Put all the smaller volumes in one policies and the larger one in one policies as the larger one taking forever to  backup … is this possible ??

• The maximum max jobs per client is 99. 

This is a theoretical limit. I have never seen any client being able to handle this amount of streams.

I would personally start with 4, then try 6, then 8. Carefully monitor cpu and memory usage on the client as well as backup throughput after each increase.  Depending on resources, you will get to a point where jobs will be queued or where performance deteriorates. Stick to the value where you got best performance.

Remember that Max jobs per Client is a global setting.
    You can customize per client in Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes.
    Add/select client name to customize.

13 Replies