Forum Discussion

MOIMOI
Level 4
15 years ago

Netbackup Policies wont start on particular day

Hi All, My problem might sound a bit weird but this has been happening for past over 2 months I have a Master Server 6.5.3.1 with around 15 policies. My FULL backup starts on thursday and DI...
    15 years ago
    Calendar based scheduling has been known to be unreliable with windows crossing midnight. Some list members will probably disagree with me, but this has been my personal experience.

The admin guide also warns against it:

"Daily windows are taken into account, even when calendar-based schedules are used. Windows that span midnight become two separate windows for calendar schedules. After the policy is created, the initial backups may appear as though two backups have run within the same window.
    If the calendar schedule indicates that today is a run day, the backup runs once during any window that is open."

This is exactly what happened in your case - the Saturday night schedule is open across midnight. As this is seen as 'two separate windows' (as per the manual), the 12:04:00 backup is considered as Sunday's backup.

For this reason I have preferred to stay with Frequency based scheduling for daily and weekly schedules and only use Calendar based schedules for backups that cannot be scheduled with Frequency based, like Monthly and Yearly.