Forum Discussion

Level 3
8 years ago

Netbackup support for Windows 2016 Nano?

Hi,

We are currently setting up a Scale-out file system with Windows 2016 Nano. I was wondering if there are any information about if/when Netbackup will support such operating systems with backup clients.

Anyone?

11 Replies

• I suppose Windows Server 2016 is supported by NBU 8.0,

This is from draft version of NBU 8.0 Release notes

NetBackup 8.0 support additions
    The following products and services are supported starting with NetBackup 8.0:
    ■ VMware Backup Server vSphere 6.0 and its updates – VDDK 6.0.2
    ■ Client – Windows Server 2016 (Client, File Systems)
    ■ Bare Metal Restore (BMR) support for client and boot server on SUSE Linux
    Enterprise Server (SLES) 12 SP1
    ■ Enterprise Vault 12
    ■ Hyper- V for Windows Server 2016

• Hi ,

I was able to test win 2016 on Netbackup 8.0 beta 4 version and was able to successfully backup and restore win 2016 box ...however after the Full restore .... the temp / eval key for win 2016 got expired on the recovered box ...seems thats the only issue we noticed apart from that there were no other issues...

That being said ..we still need to wait for official release from veritas
  • My (limited) understanding is that Windows 2016 "nano" is a headless instance, and so does not have a console of any sort.   So, if Veritas do add support for NetBackup Client inside the "nano" O/S instance, then it will have to be installed via PoSh scripts.

The other half of this question is, will NetBackup for Hyper-V support VM style backups of this "nano" O/S instance type via Hyper-V 2016 hosts?

• Windows 16 support is targeted for NetBackup 8 release. 

No idea when this version will be released as it is still undergoing Beta testing.

Best to get hold of Product Management via your local Veritas office.

Nicolai

Rumors say NBU 8.0 will be out by beginning of December.

Venkatesh_K
        Level 5

Beta testing end date is December 31, 2016. may be beging on Jan 2017 they could be releasing !!!!