Forum Discussion

w_boggs
Level 3
12 years ago

One Single Client refuses to complete backup

All of my backups are working, with the exception of one single client.  It is a virtual Solarwinds server.  Windows Server 2008R2.

Below is a summary of the errors.

Checked the status of this policy only.

Differential and Full Backups Fail
Reads from the clients , writes thousands of files and then disconnects....no actual files actually get written to the storage device

Detailed Status:
Info bpbkar32  change journal not enabled for E: Drive  (not a big deal – don’t use change journal for any client)
error bpbm(pid=7332) from client ERR: Unable to backup System State or Copy -  Please check the state of VSS and associated writers.inf  Exit Status 69
Error bptm (pid=7712) socket operation failed –10054 (at child c.1296)
Error bptm (pid=7712) unable to perform read from client socket,

When I check the properties of this client, it connects and gives full details.  It writes thousands of files during backup, but somehow never completes the job and DOES NOT partial files to the storage unit in it's proper folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill
  • You cannot backup the System State / Shadow Copy Components without using VSS

If you policy uses ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES then that will include the System State / Shadow Copy Components and these are always backed up using VSS - there is no other way

If you have disabled VSS then you can only backup the hard drives - so change you selections to C:\, DL\ etc.

Hope this helps

18 Replies

• Have you increased the "client read timeout" for this particular client? An error 69 could be a socket timeout issue.

What if you just backup one or two folders with less files (< 100+) and see if it works?

May also want to increase the backup host's TCP keepalive time : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56221

• First can you please compare the OS version of failed client with other clients? (SP1 or SP2)

Could you please even check with your windows team, if there are any Windows updates pending on the client server, if there are any can they schedule for updating patches.

• I agree with Watsons. It sounds like a timeout issue. You may have to enable logging on the client to see if the backup is getting stuck on a particular file. 

You might also try changing the backup selection to target the specific local drives: C:\, E:\, etc.  And enable multiple data streams. If it is getting stuck on a particular file, this should help you narrow that down.

• Hello Maurice,

To my understanding from post1, backups are failing when trying to take backup of  Shadow Copy Componenets. is it still requried to check the backups of Local drives..  please correct me if am wrong.

ERR: Unable to backup System State or Copy

• You cannot backup the System State / Shadow Copy Components without using VSS

If you policy uses ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES then that will include the System State / Shadow Copy Components and these are always backed up using VSS - there is no other way

If you have disabled VSS then you can only backup the hard drives - so change you selections to C:\, DL\ etc.

Hope this helps

• @Mark_Solutions

Checked status of client, it does have multiple drives, so I changed the selection to C;\Drive only....ran a differential backup and it completed successfully.....with the exception of some Endpoint Protection Errors.

Thanks so much!   Any suggestion on how to get rid of warning messages bpbm(pid=5128)  WRN: -can't open file c:\program data\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Data.....

Is there some place to go to set exceptions, or a specific way to deal with Stmantec Endpoint warnings.

Thanks,

Bill

• @All,

Would really like a defoinitive answer too on VSS... Technician told me to disable on all clients when we did initial install of NetBackup.

What's the right answer..  Enabled or Disabled ?   Client,  Master and Media?

Bill

• Maybe he meant VSP - disabled (or at least not selected to be used) in Master Servers Host Properties

If you want to backup a servers Syatem State / Shadow Copy Components you need it to be enabled - it can be set to manual startup but should not be disabled.

As for the endpoint error it will also be down to VSS not being used as you cannot backup any open files

Either enable VSS to allow open files to be backed up or exclude the files / directories that cause issues

I would enable VSS - that way you can back everything up correctly