Forum Discussion

G_D_
Level 3
9 years ago

problem emm launch

Hi,

After an ungraceful shutdown of my backup server (electricity loss), i'm unable to restart netbackup.

First, i found my vxdbms.conf was corrupt :

11:01:53.639 [10028.10024] <2> read_legacy_touch_file: Found C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\vxdbms.conf; requested from(vxdbms_conf.cpp.1529).
11:01:53.639 [10028.10024] <16> ReadVxDBMS_ConfFile: Illegal configuration file:  C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\vxdbms.conf

It's wasn't a 0kb file, but with strange symbol within.

I recreate it with https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH48879

But, it's still impossible to start, emm, and i have this error when i try to ping the database :

13:25:36.281 [6964.7844] <4> ping_database: ODBC connection string=DRIVER=NB SQL Anywhere;CS=utf8;UID=dba;PWD=***************;LINKS=shmem,tcpip{PORT=13785};ServerName=XXXXXXXXX;DBN=NBDB
13:25:36.281 [6964.7844] <16> ping_database: ODBC connection failed.
13:25:36.281 [6964.7844] <16> ping_database: ErrMsg [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Le mot de passe ou l'ID utilisateur est incorrect, ErrCode -1, Sqlstate 28000

I found it's possible to reinitialize it (http://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000044417), but, i don't want thing to get worse.

Should i continue in this way ?

Thank for your help

G. DESSOLLE

NB : 7.7.1

• Providing you run catalog backups, you should have a copy of the catalog NBDB files in /usr/openv/db/staging.

Copy the vxdbms.conf file back from there and see if that helps.

11 Replies

• The best way to test/validate backup media is by running test restores

I test some, and everything is ok.

The OS would've run a filesystem check on all mount points at boot time. Any disk or filesystem errors would be logged to the OS system log.

Everything is ok.

OK, why are you concerned about the data files - I presume by this you mean the actual 'images' stored on the 'disk' storage unit ?

Yes. I have a puredisk diskpool. Because of deduplication, with little corrupt data, we can lose a lot backup.

What has happened that makes you think there could be an issue.

I have no log of the corruption of my vxdbms.conf. This is what makes me doubt the rest.

I rely on your experience, i will make other restore test.

Thank a lot for your help.

You can close the topic.