Forum Discussion

10 years ago

High and low watermark

Hello Experts,   I need to check the basic watermark functionality with my NAS storage device using NBU. I have a filesystem to test (say 2 Gb).  i have created a storage unit with CIFS UNC ...
    10 years ago

Staging is duplication of the disk backup to other storage where more space exists for long-term retention. 

The whole idea with Basic Disk is to keep backups there for a short period to enable quick restores.

Because space is limited on normal disk, nobody can afford to just add more and more disk for long term retention.

If you duplicate/stage to another Basic Disk Storage Unit, you will have the same proble - limited space.

With tape you can simply add more media at a fraction of the cost of disk - local or NAS.

So, if you backup to Basic Disk, you need to carefully look at how much you are backing up and decide how many FULL or INCR copies you would like to keep on the disk. The space (LUN) that you provision must be sufficient to hold this amount of data.

Next is to provision suitable storage for long-term retention (e.g. 2 weeks for daily, 3 months for weekly, 12 months for monthly - whatever your company's recovery needs are). 
    You are going to battle to provide sufficient space on disk for long-term retention.

With Disk staging, the backup retention is specified in the schedules of the Backup Policies.
    Backup to Disk is written with this retention.

If you stage/duplicate these backups to the 'BIGGER' storage for long-term retention, the HWM can be applied.

Any backups that are successfully duplicated to the secondary Storage Unit, can be expired and removed by NBU when the HWM is reached.

If backups did not successfully duplicate to the STU specified in the Staging part of the Basic Disk config, the backups on disk cannot be expired and removed.

Hope this helps!

PS: 

More info in  NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I :

Chapter 12 Staging backups

This chapter includes the following topics:
    ■ About staging backups
    ■ About basic disk staging
    ■ Creating a basic disk staging storage unit
    ■ Configuring multiple copies in a relocation schedule
    ■ Disk staging storage unit size and capacity
    ■ Finding potential free space on a BasicDisk disk staging storage unit
    ■ Disk Staging Schedule dialog box