Forum Discussion

ilap
Level 3
9 years ago

Recalculate retention on local images and not on tapes.

Hi, We have an SLP which has a retention for a year and backup up to PureDisk. This images are duplicated to tapes /w 7-year retention. I would like to change the retention from 1-year image...
    9 years ago

NetBackup works with the expiration dates on copies.  When it comes to managing the lifespan (i.e. expiry time) of any copy of any backup image, NetBackup does not work with the retention levels on the image header or the image copies - these are just markers to show/record the retention level number that was applied at some time in the past, i.e. when the retention was actually applied to an image or copy.  After this the retention level numbers are never used again, unless you recalculate.

I believe the first image shows retlevel 9 on the image header, simply because it has not been 'updated' by anything other than an SLP.  i.e. SLPs always mark image headers and image copies as retention level 9 until the SLP processing is complete, and only then are retention levels applied to copies.

For the second image, you have manually set the ret-level to 7, and so the image header has also had it recorded that one of the copies has a ret-level 7.

What you are checking are effectively cosmetic fields and of no consequence to NetBackup's own algorithms which manage actual expiry of copies and and ultimately images (when a final copy expires).