Forum Discussion

smart2011
Level 4
14 years ago

restore single table space from oracle

Hi, I’m using NetBackup 7.0 (windows master server) and Oracle database 11 is running on Linux 5.5 operating system.   My DBA wants to restore single tablespace from backup. We have restore...
    14 years ago

Hi,

The way you are doing is not right. If you are dropping/deleting database from Oracle its mean that Oracle is also updating respective control files. In that case you have to restore old control file and restore point in time database.

DBAs always create problem for that especially when they don't have idea of database recovery. I'll suggest you to delete datafiles from OS and try to restore it, i'm share that will work for you. I've done the same practice for one of my customer.

following are the limitations of GUI recovery.

• The database is displayed only in its current state. If objects have been deleted from the database since the last backup, these objects do not appear among the objects you can select for restore. To restore the objects that have been deleted, you need to restore the entire database point in time before the objects were deleted.
    • Data is restored to the original location. The wizard does not provide a way for the user to specify alternate file names.
    • The wizard does not restore control files.

following link will really assist you to restore tablespace,

http://dbataj.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-recover-dropped-tablespace.html

i hope that will assist you.