Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Scheduled jobs are not starting

I've been working on a problem for a little over a month and have managed to even stump the fine folks at Symantec so far, so I though I would reach out to all of you and see if I can get this fixed.

Back in March, my scheduled jobs suddenly just stopped working.  They just don't start. If I restart my servers, or services, the jobs will queue up and run fine for approximately 24 hours, then not run again. I have approximately 150 policies that will show up if I type in:

nbpemreq -predict -date (next 24 hours)

If I do the same command the next day, there will only be 4 policies that show up. These policies have worked seemlessly throughout the problem, which doesn't make troubleshooting any easier. The policies that work are wide ranging, from a flat file backup, Exchange, and RMAN's. Some write to a Data Domain, some write direct to tape. New backup policies behave in the same manner. Manually starting a job works fine.

Master - W2K8 running NBU 7.5.0.3

Clients - vary between Windows and Redhat (both fail)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will post any log files that you need.

• Ok....I think we have a fix...I hope. It turns out there was a wildcard (*) in a policy that caused NBPEM to try and calculate over 700,000 files into new streams which caused it to constantly hang. As such, I have now gone through and removed all wildcards from my policies. 

I will continue to monitor this through the weekend. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

35 Replies